Friday, May 22, 2009

My Choice

I recently read a book called “In Praise of Stay-at-Home Moms” by Dr. Laura. She’s not a great writer in my opinion, but the message was encouraging and non-judgmental. She simple states what used to be obvious and isn’t so anymore. When you have a child, your work is raising your child. This post is not about me judging the choices of others; it is only my statement of faith in our decision.

I frequently get asked when I plan to return to work. It’s been implied that my brain will turn to mush unless I challenge myself with a fast-paced job. I’m wasting my education some have said. Why is it assumed that a mother will return to work outside the home? I suppose because many women do return to work at some point after birthing their children. Maybe to supplement their income or they truly do love the challenge of their chosen profession. That’s all great, but some women find great pleasure and contentment in raising their children and managing their home. Forever. My issue with our society is that the first woman is viewed as normal and the second, she’s an oddity, perhaps even lazy or ignorant.

There is no truth in the “I can have it all” mantra of so many women my age. You can try to have it all, but something will suffer. Your job, your home, your health, your children, your marriage. I didn’t want my child to spend 8 hours a day with someone else, I didn’t want my house to be a wreck, I didn’t want to neglect my husband. This is what would be happening with us if I worked outside the home 40 hours a week. I know my limits.

This is why I stay at home with Avery. My marriage and child are the most important things to me.



And I get to wear a hat and chase a naked baby around all day.
A most excellent life.



Photobucket

No comments: